February 2019 archive

Rube Goldberg #3: Reflecting on Collaboration

Reflecting on collaborating on the Rube Goldberg project, I have really enjoyed working with Stella, my partner. Although we have different ideas, we have been able to share and take turns testing different parts of our project out. I am happy I choose to work with a partner on this project. Stella and I have been able to come up with nine different tasks and we have worked out the first five. We have been meeting on Thursdays, Saturdays and sometimes on Sunday to work through the different tasks. Our next goal is to start task number six. We are going to have a seesaw knock over six fairy tale books, which we named fairy tale forest. So far this has been a fun experience.

Rube Goldberg #2: Getting Started to Build

Last Saturday, February 2nd, Stella and I had a meeting regarding our Rube Goldberg project. We went in my basement and found the materials we needed to start building. Some of the materials we found included marbles, dominoes, marble run tubes, string, blocks, rocks, tape and much more! After watching, “The Lemonade Machine” by Sprice Machines on youtube we found some great ideas. Attached below is the video:

We decided for our Rube Goldberg project our first step would be based on “ The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train” ride. To create the first component we found wrapping paper rolls, tape, scissors and marbles. We first cut the wrapping paper rolls in half and created four separate pieces. Then we placed the cut wrapping paper roles on different angles, securing them to the wall with tape and placing the rolls underneath one another so the marble would travel down the tube and fall directly down into the next tube. Our first take was not a success because the marble bounced off the tube and fell on the floor. Our solution was to change the incline of the tubes to make it less steep so the marble would not fall off. Although the incline was better the marble still did not stay on the run. Our next thought was to add a plastic cup to block the marble from coming out of the tube. Our solution did not go as planned because the marble got stuck inside the cup.  After that we decided to use the bottom of the cup. We tried to drop the marble down the run and by placing the cups backward the marble traveled in and out of the wrapping paper rolls successfully! Our first step was now complete!

The Seven Dwarf Mine Train

Our second step is based on the roller coaster, “Thunder Mountain.” Our supplies that we used for this step included connecting tubes (marble run tubes), marbles and tape. First we built a contraption using the connecting tubes to help the marble continue its travel from step one to step two. After we came up with a cool design for our connecting tubes, we started to build it. We had originally placed the connecting tube mechanism on the floor but the marble from the first step was not falling into the second step.  We then stacked plastic boxes on top of one another so that we could meet the height of the first step.   We started to test the “Thunder Mountain” marble run. Our solution was to connect another connecting tube to the marble run. We tested it one more time and it worked!

Step 2 : Thunder Mountain

For our third step we based our idea on the Disney ride “Splash Mountain.” The supplies that we used include marble run connectors, tape and a ball. To build Splash Mountain we first put together the marble run connectors.  We taped the marble run connectors to the plastic box so that it would not move.  Taking a match box car ramp, we balanced the ramp next to the run and placed a car on the floor. We tested it but the car was to heavy. Our solution was to replace the car with a ball. We tested it one more time and it finally worked!

Step 3 : Splash Mountain

The last step of the day was our fourth step which is based on the ride “Tower of Terror.” Some of the supplies include blocks, dominoes, string, a tennis ball and a car. We first watched a video how to make a pulley. After we put together blocks so the tennis ball could land on the table. We set up the dominoes on the floor and placed the car over the string. We tested it out and it worked! This is the link to watch the video on how to make a pulley:


Stella and I learned that we need to have more than one idea for each step. It was fun to see which ideas worked and which ideas did not. It was much harder than I expected. We can’t wait to keep on building our Disney Rube Goldberg project!

Rube Goldberg #1: Starting Rube Goldberg Project

A couple days ago, my class was assigned to do a Rube Goldberg project. The Rube Goldberg project is about a contraption that is over engineered to make a simple task work. All the students had the choice to work alone or work within a small group. I chose to work with my friends, Stella and Maya. Due to after school activity conflicts Maya chose to work alone.

Stella and I decided that our Rube Goldberg project would have a theme. We decided our theme will be Disney World. We chose the theme to be Disney World because we wanted to make the elements look like different Disney rides. For our simple task we decided that we would release balloons into the air. Stella and I are excited to get started!

Kindness Week

This week my school did a challenge called kindness matters. The challenge is to do as many kind things as you can, such reading a book to your sibling or smiling at 25 people.

I entertained someone with a happy dance, hugged a friend, smiled at 25 people, complimented 5 people, read a book to my sibling and made a bookmark for a friend. Even though we kindness week at my school we should always be kind.