The improvement I made to my maglev train was that on the tracks, I put two more strip magnets on top of each of the strip magnets already on the tracks. I didn’t put more strip magnets, or any other type of magnets, on the train. I didn’t because in an experiment, we put two ring magnets on a pencil with the north and north facing each other so that they levitated, and when I put another magnet on the bottom, the magnet on the top levitated higher. When I put a magnet on the top too, it remained it’s normal height.
My final track and train has two rows of strip magnets with three strip magnets on each row. On the train, there are two rows of strip magnets with one strip magnet in each row. I think this train was successful because there were more magnets on the track than on the train. The train levitated higher because the magnetic field was bigger. Since there are more magnets on the tracks, those magnets are stronger, so the train can carry more weight.
From this process, I learned that maglev trains levitate because the magnets that are used to build the train, have the same poles facing each other. I learned that if the same poles are facing each other, then the magnet on the top, levitates. I learned that in the EDP, you can’t just start building right from scratch. You have to go through the ask, imagine, and plan stages first. I learned that when you are working with a group, you have to take turns to share your ideas. If you do not take turns, then no one will hear anyone’s ideas, and you will not get anything done.