Interpreting Characters: The Heart of Story is our first reading unit this year. During this unit, students will:
- learn to establish powerful reading lives (inside and outside of the classroom).
- learn to think deeply about characters (growing ideas about characters, craft, and language).
- learn to use text evidence to support the ideas we grow about characters.
- read in partnerships to discuss their thinking.
Reading the Weather, Reading the World is our first nonfiction unit this year. Nonfiction is factual information written around a central idea, followed by supporting evidence. During this unit, students will:
- learn to read for main ideas and supporting details, to identify text structure, to summarize, to synthesize, to analyze author’s craft, and to figure out meanings of unknown words.
- understand the text features of nonfiction that help develop a sense for text content.
- learn ways to organize information based on the structure of the text.
- T Chart–Problem/Solution, Cause/Effect, Question/Answer
- Venn Diagram–Compare/Contrast
- work in research groups studying extreme weather and natural disasters.