Today in class we did a science experiment about mixtures and solutions. We had 3 different solvents and 1 solute. The sugar was the solute and the solvent was oil water and vinegar. But first we had to make pink sugar. We got food coloring and sugar then we mixed food coloring with sugar and make pink sugar.
Then we made a hypothesis my hypothesis was if we mixed the sugar with the oil then it would float to the bottom and I was correct but some went to the top. It was sticky and slow like syrup. But pink like slime. also the middle stayed the same. I think this because the oil is lighter then the sugar and the color is lighter then both so that’s how it went to the top
Then we made another hypothesis for the water I thought that it would be pink sugar water. Then when we mixed it with water making pink sugar water that was easy to hypothesize. But some of the sugar did not dissolve I think this happened because the water could only hold a certain amount of sugar
then we did our last experiment we mixed the the sugar with the vinegar. my hypothesis was that it would be smelly and pink looking. It was smelly that was for sure but it was more orange. I think that this happened because the color spreads out and grows lighter.
I had no questions but a lot of answers
My chicken bone project worked!!! now I have a rubber chicken bone. I almost have my video done i just need to get my final experiments and take pictures. I am also working on google slides when i’m done with that i’ll present it to. I cant wait to show every one!
So far every thing is going good. I’m starting my next project. It is a project to use the magnetic force to make a motor. First you need a battery copper wire and little magnets. first you bend the wire into a unenclosed circle. Then you stack the magnets on top of each other. then place the battery in the copper wire, about 4-6 magnets and place the battery and wire on top of the magnets and the wire will spin. ( tip: you must have the top of the battery touching the wire and the bottom part of the wire must be a millimeter away)
My passion project is going good so far my first experiment worked ( i will post pictures of that latter) and my chicken bone project is working pretty good. My Hypothesis is that the vinegar will take out the Calcium in the bone and make it rubbery. the bone is starting to look weird. If any of you want to try this at home all u need is a raw chicken bone and vinegar. first put the chicken bone in the bowl then poor in the vinegar and let it set for one or two weeks.
today is the fith meeting ( I misted the fourth ) we have changed a lot. today all we did was test and added. we got though all the steps but one. the book dominoes. the car always hits the bottom of the books and makes it fall the way we do not want it to fall. we have got about 40 fails now but were still trying. 🙂
We got a assignment on jan 28. It was rube Goldberg. Me and my group got together (2 people were sick ) we made a sketch and tested some stuff out. Then our second gathering ( every one was here ) we started our second sketch we fought quite a lot ( who knew that NERF bullets hurt a lot) my friends mom said that if we finish we can get ice cream. We also started the first few steps. Our rube Goldberg looks awesome.
Last 1 week and a ½ we planted plant. I have no idea what they are! We had one controlled and one manipulated. For our manipulated one we put sand instead of dirt. Other people messed with the water or light. One group even put sugar water. Our manipulated one grew 1 inch and a ½ !
On the first day it started to sprout on. The second day I saw that it was the same. For the next 5 days it grew stems then it started to grow leaves it was very very fun!
-This is my controlled plant.
This is the manipulated.
On day three we had a huge success. We put three magnets on each side right left and center.
Here are some pictures:
We made it float 3/4 of a inch off the ground. It carried 46 marbles!!!!!! It was so much marbles that we had to get a bigger cup! It was sad when we had to take apart our maglev. But I can’t wait for the next unit. I can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday my group had a huge successes we made the train float a inch off the ground!!!!! My idea made it float a little but we found another way. first we got strip magnets and disc magnets it made it flout a little then we tried adding a extra strip. But that did not work. we even tried putting to long magnets on the car but that did not work. It was a great second day!