One Valuable Estimation Jar

23 children. One jar of candy. Estimating the amount. But only 14 days. At Heathcote Elementary School, Scarsdale, NY, it was only fourteen days away from Halloween! Down in the fifth grade wing, in Mrs Cooper’s classroom, she was introducing the estimation jar. Whoever estimated the exact amount of candy or the closest amount, won the whole jar. In maths, the class was learning how to estimate, so this was great timing and really fun. All of the students of Mrs Cooper’s class, participated in the exciting event. According to Morgan Greco, a student of Mrs Cooper, “I think that it was very fun and I would love to do it again for another holiday.” Kaitlyn Shedroff, also a student of Mrs Cooper, won the estimation jar!

View image on Twitter

Soaring Rockets

Rockets. They are flying into the clear sky. People are screaming. Nosecones getting stuck into the ground. On the morning of October 17th 2019, students from 5Cooper and their parents gathered to see the launches. Everyone came together in the field of Heathcote Elementary School, Scarsdale, NY. The students did this because they were learning about rockets and wanted to see what their own creations would turn out like. Everyone was broken up into groups and came up with group names: The 4 Rocketeers, Flying Saucers, The 3 Musketeers, The Astros, Shooting Stars, and the Astro Rockets.

 

Just like real engineers, they did not go straight into building a rocket. First, they made an inspiration board to be inspired by other successful rockets. A week later, they designed their rockets and gathered materials. Then, they built their rockets. Every group’s rocket shot to the sky so high. According to Morgan Greco a member of a rocketry group called The Flying Saucers, “It was a great experience because we worked with people we would not usually work with. It was exciting to see how high our rockets went.”

Rocket Launch 2

    We launched OUR SECOND ROCKET! The thing that stands out most is that our rocket went pretty high because we had a longer nose cone. All the rockets went pretty high and when I looked up almost all of them went higher than a tree near the field. My job was to launch the rocket and that was really fun! I was a clinometer reader for two groups, The Flying Saucers, and the Astro Rockets. When I was using the clinometer instrument for The Flying Saucers, I think I may have not got the exact height. This rocket went a lot higher, I think it was because we had a longer nose cone. 

    Our rocket went 143ft rounded from 142.7! I think we will keep the size of our nose cone but I want to change the size of our fins. We had pretty big fins and that adds weight so I think if we use smaller fins our rocket would have went higher.

    When we were launching we were all collaborating and we only did things if the whole group would agree. Since Tom was not here, we agreed that he would get to choose loads of things in our third design. As well as collaborating on the launch we collaborated on graphing the data for how high our rocket went. 

Rocket Design 2

    My group and I had come to our second rocket design. We had seen that the rockets that went pretty high had long nosecones. Also, there was more space for aerodynamics. So, we changed the nose cone from a short one to a long one. 

    When we were designing our rocket, the thing that went well was that we let each other speak their minds. As well as things are going well, some things were a challenge. An example of this is, we did not agree on everything. But, in the end, we came to an agreement of what we thought would make the most effect. 

    The thing that went well was that we worked together as a group to build our rocket. The thing that was challenging was that we did not agree on the colors of the rocket but then agreed on grey and blue. 

    When we were designing the rocket we collaborated and shared our ideas before we wrote anything down. We almost always collaborated on everything. When we had a disagreement we would have a vote and the majority would win. But then we would make sure that they got to choose something else.

Rocketry Design 1

When I found out we were going to be making rockets, I was so excited! I found out my group was: Mia, Micah and Tom. First, we would have to design our rockets. We agreed on most of it but some of it we did not agree. We first designed our rocket on a big piece of paper. We kept changing the fins and the shape until it was right. We pretty much agreed we were ready to start listing possible materials for our rocket. We wanted to have a light rocket, so we chose: cardstock, thin cardboard and coloured tape. We wanted a thin body. Our fin design had a flat body, to be sturdier. We took a long time designing. We made an inspiration board so that we won’t forget our ideas. There was no right or wrong. We had done some research the past few days so we put it all on the board. 

I waited for the day to build our rocket, and it finally came! We used our inspiration board. On our inspiration board it had different designs for each part of the rocket (body, fins, and nosecone). We had PVC pipes to mold our rocket around. Our first rocket was too tight on the top and too wide on the bottom. We quickly made a new one and it was just right.  Mia made the nose-cone and Micah made the fins. Tom and I made the body. Altogether, we glued our fins down. We used hot glue… HOT! We finished! Now we have to launch it…..