So, we recently played a game with our switch, and it was kind of fun! Basically, we just had to get with 4 people at a table, and get three of our switches. We connect them with 3 lights on the breadboards, and when you press one of the switches, one goes on. Anyway, there is then a deck of cards, and two people split the deck. They both turn over a card and if they are both red then press the switch in the middle. If the left one is red, then press the switch on the left. If the card on the right is red and the other is black, then activate the right switch. It is timed and mistakes are counted. I think it was a fun experience!
So, for my jewelry, my idea was to do a heart. So, I cut the wires for the heart, which only took two wires. It wasn’t that hard. So then I got some double-sided tape and stuck it on the design sheet, and then put the wires on it. I then waited for my turn to use the solder, which is, as you know, more than 800º, and soldered the parts that I wanted to be together. I needed to wait a few minute for the pendant to cool, and then I took it off the tape. It looked great! I think I will make it a necklace. Here is a picture.
So, we are doing a project and we are going to make switches and use them for a game. Basically, we make it with cardboard and tin foil to close a circuit created by a breadboard. When we connect the switch, we press a button on our switch and then a light on our breadboard turns on. We needed to learn how to use the jigsaw. For me, it was scary in the beginning. You need to put your fingers less than an inch away from the scary blade. I almost cut myself multiple times. Here is a picture of my switch.
So today we watched a video about metals, and it talked about how rare gold is, that if we combined all the gold we have, it would only fill about 1/3 of the Washington Monument. To make gold, or any element, you need to heat up neutrons, protons, and electrons, at a temperature of billions of degrees. When that happens, the particles join together. This process is called fusion. A scientist made an experiment that the copper will defeat the superbug if on it. It worked. The copper destroyed the superbug’s DNA. They realized that they could put it on door handles, stair handles, elevator buttons, and more, objects that are touched so often, objects that get people sick, because there are so many germs on it. But if they made those things out of copper, the disease and sickness would not stay on those objects, they would die on those objects, and they wouldn’t make other people sick. This whole discovery could save millions of lives.
I think I learned a lot from this video. It was interesting too.
So, as you know, we are making solder jewelry – pendants in particular. I decided to do my heart design – it only takes two wires to make the heart. But the first thing we had to do is make the actual circle. I was surprised that we had to do this, because I thought the circles were going to be already made for us. But, we learned how to do it. We wrapped our wire around a mandril and then made it really tight by wrapping one wire around the other, using one as a post. To help this process, we used the bottlenose pliers to tighten the wrap. Then, we used the flushed pliers to cut it right there. We then made the circle where we will put the sting of the necklace I’m making. We did this with the barrel pliers. Then, again, we wrapped it around and cut it with the flushed pliers. That’s all I’ve done so far. I’ll put a few pictures up when I’m done. But here is a picture of the circle pendant part.
I feel like I am ready for this presentation, but I think it might be too long. I’m using Keynote, and I have 6 slides – one for a title slide, one for a slide about why I was interested in this topic, one for my first attempt, one for my second attempt, one for my final attempt, and then one that wraps the presentation up. I have three or four pictures on each slide, and I hope that my presentation will be super good! (And a minute or under!)
So this is (I think) the end of me writing about my passion project one! I hope that I improved (I think I did) on making rosettes, and I even learned how to make tie-die rosettes! I think this project was also really super fun. Maybe I’ll do another passion project soon!
So for this last one, this last attempt, I decided to do tie-dye rosettes instead of just one plain colored! It was a little hard to get all of the colors into the bag that you squeeze to make the frosting come out. I decided to do three colors: Blue, pink, and purple. I thought those colors would look nice together. For three of them, I did the regular is that I have been practicing, but then I tried a different way – starting the rosette from the middle. When I did that, it actually looks like a rose! Here are some pictures.