The Important thing about Mae Jemison

The important thing about Mae Jemison is, she was the first African American women to travel into space. She boarded the space shuttle Endeavour with six other astronauts and was thrust into space at 17,500 mph. Her mission was called STS-47. During STS-47, she  spent eight days in space and traveled 3.3 million miles. Mae also took part in a special project supported by NASA, its goal is to create the first starship in 100 years! But the important thing about Mae Jemison is, she was the first African American women to travel into space.

Bibliography:

Harris, Laurie Lanzen. “Jemison, Mae.” Biography for Beginners Online. Lincoln Library Press, 2015. FactCite, http://www.factcite.com/biobegin/10162.html. Accessed 16 Nov. 2017

Wheeler Jill C. Mae Jemison Awesome Astronaut. 2013.

Kozloski, Lillian D. “Jemison, Mae Carol.” World Book Student, World Book, 2017, http://www.worldbookonline.com/student/article?id=ar287210. Accessed 16 Nov. 2017.

7 Comments on The Important thing about Mae Jemison

1. m2spencer26
    November 28, 2017 at 7:47 pm (8 months ago)

Dear Jalyn,
    I think it is really cool that Mae Jemison was the FIRST african american women to go into space. I also think that you organized your writing really well. Was Mae Jemison born in Africa? And is Mae Jemison still alive and traveling through space or working on earth with the NASA? I used to think only men traevled through space, but you proved me wrong.
    Love Meera.

• jryu26
      November 29, 2017 at 3:17 pm (8 months ago)

Meera,
      Mae Jemison only went on one space mission, but a really exciting one! Mae was born in Decatur, Alabama. I am pretty sure that Mae is still helping NASA with a starship project. I also have a question about Captain John Smith: How long did he stay there until he became president?
      Jalyn

2. mlanda26
    November 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm (8 months ago)

Cool, that was very interesting for me to read, I have s connection. it is that my explorer is the first woman to go to space!

• jryu26
      November 29, 2017 at 3:09 pm (8 months ago)

Mia,
      That is so cool that your explorer was the first woman to go into space! My explorer definitely has a connection with yours. When did your explorer go to space?
      Jalyn

3. kkendall26
    November 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm (8 months ago)

Dear Jalyn ,
    I never knew that Mae Jemison was the first African American women to go into space. What was her mission that she needed to do?

• jryu26
      November 29, 2017 at 3:06 pm (8 months ago)

Katie,
      Her mission mainly was to experiment on different animals and objects. One of her experiments to see if tadpoles would develop differently into frogs.
      Jalyn

4. mlanda26
    November 29, 2017 at 1:47 pm (8 months ago)

cool I like how you made it interesting to to read. I also like how you included a picture!