For our Capstone project, we have to have an main inquiry question and 5 sub questions that back up the main inquiry question about each of our topics. My main inquiry question and sub questions are this:
Main Inquiry Question: How will the Hyperloop change the world of transportation?
What are the pros/cons of the Hyperloop?
When would the Hyperloop be ready to go on?
How will the Hyperloop affect people’s lives?
How is the company Hyperloop One going to create the Hyperloop train?
How much would a trip on the Hyperloop from San Francisco and Los Angeles cost, and how long would it take?
These are my sub questions that I am going to have to research to get the answers. We each have to have at least 5 sub questions, and if you want, you could include more sub questions. I chose 5 questions because there really isn’t too much information about my topic because it is based on the future, and hadn’t been completely constructed yet.
For our poetry unit, we wrote… Poems! For our first 1-2 weeks, we read books and got inspiration of other poems to write our own poems. We did this for a lot of days and we eventually got used to writing poems daily. Our poetry unit is still going, and it will keep on going ’till the end of April. A important poem that our class wrote was a “I am from” poem. For this poem, you have to state like different,”Where I’m from”s, like, “I am from trees”. My favorite poems were the ones that we wrote ourselves for our homework. I like these types of poems because you could write about whatever you want to write about! It doesn’t even need to rhyme! I enjoy the freedom of poetry.
Our class did an immigration about different countries. I chose Russia because it is a big place with lots of information to research about. On the first days when we started the project, we had to write the voiceover and the storyboard of whats going to happen in the movie/video. For our voiceover, we had to write sooooo many paragraphs about our “fake” trip to America. We had to write from where are hometown is, to where our new home in America is going to be. For our storyboard, we drew a strip of comic-like pictures to determine what will happen through out our story. The for our photo shoot, we took pictures of where we would take the photos of our story board. Some of the pictures required a green screen so we took a picture in front of a green wall, then we used this app called “Doink” to merge the picture we want to be in to the picture with the green screen. My favorite green screen pic is this:
For our second and third class for spheros, we taught our “Students” how to make a circle getting bigger and a figure eight. We also added challenges like colors, sound and speed differences for them to do. After we finished all our challenges for them, we played sphero community games, like Pong, Fortune Teller, Animal Toss, etc. Our students had so much fun that they were bummed out when they had to leave. Overall I think that these classes have made a great amount of progress than when we first started teaching them.
On March 8, my group (Mason, Rick, Me) and I taught Mrs. Boyer’s class and Mrs. Cooper’s class about Sphero. Each group had been assigned to teach a certain amount of students. My group had to teach Charlotte, Beatrice, and Sandy in Mrs. Cooper’s class, then we had to teach Nate, Jonah, and Lola. The lessons were really hard because people didn’t understand certain things. We had to start with the basics, like what the Sphero is, and what programming code does. In the middle of our lesson with Mrs. Cooper’s class, someone kept on hogging the Ipad and didn’t really let the other people get to code. For Mrs. Boyer’s class, it felt to us that someone was trying to teach us than trying being taught. Overall I thought that it was a very fun experience to teach other kids in my grade.
Now that my group and I finished our Rube Goldberg machine and recorded the success, we finally got to relax a bit. The only problem is that I am nervous about sharing the video to the whole class. My group and I worked very hard to make the machine. It was hard to meet up because most of the time someone was always busy. Overall, I think our group did okay compared to other groups, because we barely got to meet.
For our Rube Goldberg, we managed to finish the sketch on Google Docs online. Mason and I used hangouts to video call each other, so we could communicate more quickly and more efficiently, than just using the comments to chat about what we are going to include for our Rube Goldberg. I think that it will take us a long time to record a successful run for our machine, because it is complicated.
For our Rube Goldberg meet, we finished the machine, and recorded the successes and fails. My group (Mason, Rick, Me) and I met for only 3 times and we got a success recorded. When the final step was successful, we extremely happy because it took lots of tries to record a successful run-thru. Overall I think this project is really challenging because you have to cooperate with your group and decide what to include in your machine.
For our third Rube Goldberg, we finished the sketch. We didn’t actually meet in person, but Mason and I video called each other, to finish the sketch. Our sketch is on Google Drawings and is OK, I guess. We are all set for building our machine, and we are all excited to record our successes and fails.