3-D printing can change the world. It could help end a lot of the world’s problems, such as world hunger and perhaps poverty too, but only if used in the right way. Most people 3-D print small objects, like name tags. But, what if every household had a food 3-D printer? What if 3-D printed houses are made and sold? It could solve a lot of problems. Overall, 3-D printing is very useful.
I thought it was so cool how different the process of creating lumber is now than back the the 1900’s! One thing I noticed that was different was that the process back in the 1900’s was way more dangerous than it is now. I also noticed that it looked a lot easier to do with today’s modern technology, rather than how they used to do it; cutting the trees down by hand, having to transport the trees by putting them in a truck, then have them lifted by helicopter, and then putting them on train, and then finally delivering them into the saw mill’s water. Then, they have to take it out of the pond manually and move it through this big saw. Comparing to the modern way, which is basically that whole process, but using machines for all of it, it is so much harder. Overall, I thought it was fascinating how much the process changed.
Building means to create something out of supplies. Last year I built a flashlight. I remember feeling very proud of it when it was done. I did it alone. I actually still use it. I do enjoy building things, but it is a lot of work.
Here is a picture of my flashlight:
Finally, I have finished my flashlight. I decorated it, and assembled it. Now, I have started making a set of doll furniture, including a red and green popsicle stick table, gold-colored cardboard benches, a multi-colored sofa, and maybe even a gold and pink bed! I am also probably going to make 2 pipe-cleaner people to accommodate the furniture. In that case, I will make 2 beds! Anyway, this will be my last post, because tech is ending soon, but I will update this post as I finish my doll furniture. Any updates will be in a different color. Overall, I am so excited to finish this project, but also sad, because tech is ending soon. Bye!
In tech I finished my sketch. I cut, stripped, and soldered my circuit. I cut a PVC pipe for my my flashlight. Let me explain to you how I did this. First off, soldering the circuit. When I solder, I am melting metal together. This is strong bond, but will break if you don’t put enough solder on, or pull it apart. To solder, we wear safety glasses, and use a soldering stick, or a piece of wire, to get the solder going. You can’t apply to much, otherwise it will go into your battery, and you have to get a new one. Now, cutting the PVC pipe. To cut the PVC pipe, you use a saw. One partner holds the pipe so it won’t move, and the other one saws! Overall, I am so excited to finish my flashlight!
In tech we started to draw our flashlights! First I drew the 45˚ angle pipe that the light comes out of. Then I drew the tripod on the bottom, with all the caps. A little more on why I decided to design my flashlight the way I did. I figured that you would be able to stand it up, but also be able to carry it. I also drew my circuit. The light is coming out of the 45˚ angle pipe, and the switch is in the back. Overall, I am so excited to keep working on my flashlight!
Today in tech, we learned how to draw items to scale. We learned the scale we were working with. Our scale was that one square was .25”. We did a lot of practices, where we measured a PVC pipes and then drew them to scale. Then we started brainstorming our flashlight idea. I wanted to do a tripod on the bottom with a 45˚ angle pipe on top, with the light coming out from the 45˚ angle.
In tech, we made switches. I made a duct tape switch. A duct tape switch is when you put two pieces of cardboard side by side on a piece of duct tape with a small gap in between. Then, you put a little more tape so it is stronger. After that, cut two pieces of tinfoil, and put one on the first piece of cardboard, and one on the second. Finally, plug wires into the tinfoil, and close your switch. Te LED light attached to the wires should light up. If it does, your switch works! I also decorated mine with pom poms. Here is a picture of my switch…
In tech, I finished my pendant. I left off saying I was putting it together, right? Anyway, after I put my pieces together, I soldered. I was kind of scared, because The soldering iron gets up to 842˚ F, and I didn’t want to burn myself. It was really cool! There was liquid metal oozing out of the iron, but almost as soon as it hit air, it dried, and was not hot anymore!! Overall, I really liked doing this, and am proud of what I made.
In technology, we have been working on wire pendants. This basically means that we are making jewelry out of wires. This is our first real project! The first thing we did was brainstorm designs. Our designs had to have only 5 wires, because we are just beginning. We made 15 designs, all of them were different. Then we picked the one we wanted to make. I chose a simple sunset design. The second thing we did was we made our circles that we were going to put our design in. We did this by using a cylinder made out wood, to wrap them wire around and create a perfect circle. Then, we very tightly wrapped the remaining wire around the wire we didn’t touch before. Overall, I am super excited to continue working on this project!