We finally finished our whole Rube Goldberg project, including our final video. We are so excited! In our video, we included our fails, our sketch and our success. We also included a little skit to introduce our goal; and to make it entertaining. We are super happy with the way it turned out, and I’m super excited to share it with you!
We finally finished our Rube Goldberg! It actually worked! We did fix the last part, but then after that, our beginning didn’t work! So, we played around with that, and finally getting it to work, we tested the whole machine a few times, and then recorded the final video. In the video we are putting together on Wevideo, we are also going to include our fails, like when the beginning wouldn’t work, and when we just started building. I’m so excited to show you the video in the final blogpost!
We are looking forward to testing again tomorrow. The one thing we have to fix is the last step. In the last step the car bumps into 2 boxes, the front one filled with chips. The second one to help the chips inside the box fall into the bowl. What’s happening is the chips spill everywhere, instead of into the bowl. We have been trying to make the chips go into the bowl in various different way, but none of them have worked. We are planning to sleep on it and look at it in a fresh perspective in the morning.
We have started – and finished building our Rube Goldberg. It was so hard. We built a little, and then tested that part. If that part did not work we tweaked it. We did this over and over again. Eventually, we stopped this strategy and tried building it all without testing every little piece. This worked so much better. After the whole thing was complete, we started testing it. As we tested, we kept on finding and solving problems that stopped our Rube Goldberg from being successful. When one of our tweaks did not work we tweaked it. We went through lots of iterations of the last step, we just could not get it right. We are still testing and tweaking things, but are making steady progress forward…
We have changed our whole sketch. It now includes more simple machines, each step is changing from KE (kinetic energy) to PE (potential energy), and it is a lot more interesting. The simple machines we are using includes a lever, ramp and wheel and axle. We finished the sketch and are happy with the way it turned out, and we didn’t even have to scrap our old pieces we built for the other sketch. We are using them in our new design. I will update you more when we start building again!
We still haven’t started building our Rube Goldberg yet, but have completed our first iteration sketch. It consists of 8 steps. Step #1: Push the marble. Step #2: The marble rolls down the curved cardboard tube. Step #3: The marble rolls out of the cardboard tube and rolls onto a binder, it rolls off the binder and falls onto another binder, and rolls down that binder. Step #4: The marble rolls off the binder and through two open notebooks. Step #5: The marble rolls off the notebooks and goes down a slide-like, cut open cardboard tube. Step #6: Marble rolls out of the cut open cardboard tube and knocks over a cardboard box. Step #7: The cardboard box that was knocked down by the marble, knocks down the open chip bag. Step #8: The chips from the bag fall into the bowl at the bottom. That is our first sketch.
On January 28, my class started a project about Rube Goldberg. The assignment is to build a complicated machine, that does a very simple thing. Our goal (Julia and I) is to put snacks in a bowl. Our material list includes; cardboard tubes, marbles, a chair, books, binders, a cardboard box, tape, glue and White Cheddar Corn Puffs. We decided to use stairs, because if we did it on a flat surface the ball might not get enough speed or might stop in the middle of the machine. We are really excited to start building and to test it. It’s going to be so much fun!