Our first design on the track was to use strip magnets, 4-6 each and in a row to fill the track. Our first design on our train was to use disc magnets, 1-2 each and put them on opposite sides.
One of our problems was that the train magnets weren’t lined up with the track magnets so we lined up the magnets on the train with the magnets on the track. We looked at the track and the train to do it.
For our final design, for the tracks, we used strip magnets like our first design, 6 of them and 3 on the long sides. For the train, we used strip magnets instead of disc magnets, 2 of them and 1 on two opposite sides. Our model worked because our magnets on the train lined up with the magnets on the track, our train levitated and our train moved across the track with the rocks in a paper cup safely and efficiently.
We were excited in the beginning because we never made a model of a maglev train. We were frustrated a lot in the middle and the end of the process because sometimes our magnets attracted when it was suppose to repel. And also, a lot of times, the train couldn’t levitate across the track.