Plant Blog Post #3

We pollinated our plants for a few days with our fingers and q-tips and now we have a seed pod. At first I thought it was a very long pistil but my teacher told us that it’s a seed pod. We have 11 seed pods. Most of them are tiny though.

For our Controlled quad, it grew a lot. Even though cell 2, 3 and 4 are growing a lot, cell 1 it going to snap soon and are losing leaves. We didn’t break it because a few weeks ago, we thought it was going to snap but it didn’t snap. We have 1 seed pod in cell 3. It’s about 2 centimeters tall. We have many flowers in this quad. For our Manipulated quad, we still watered the dead cells but so far, it’s not doing anything. Cell 3’s tallest measurement is 8 centimeters tall.

I think what will happen next is our Controlled quad’s plants will grow a lot, cell 1 in the Controlled quad won’t snap and cell 3 in the Manipulated quad will still survive.

Plant Blog Post #2

For our Controlled quad, our tallest plant is about 11 centimeters tall. The leaves and stem is green and the flower is yellow. The most flowers we have are 3. At the beginning, our tallest was probably 2 centimeters tall. Our plants grew about 9 centimeters tall throughout the weeks. I think that the yellow flower is a Buttercup or Sunflower. Some of our plants are going to snap soon.

For our Manipulated quad, cell 1, 2 and 4 is dead. Only cell 3 is surviving. I think this happened because we have really little soil in the Manipulated quad. The tallest measurement for that cell is 13 centimeters tall. It has a tiny flower that is yellow and the stem and leaves are green. In the beginning, the tallest was about 6 centimeters tall. Our plants grew about 7 centimeters tall throughout the weeks.

The outcome are a few yellow flowers. The yellow flowers bloomed from the buds. I think this outcome happened because of the seeds, water and sunlight. Also, photosynthesis.

Maglev Post #3

Our first design on the track was to use strip magnets, 4-6 each and in a row to fill the track. Our first design on our train was to use disc magnets, 1-2 each and put them on opposite sides.

One of our problems was that the train magnets weren’t lined up with the track magnets so we lined up the magnets on the train with the magnets on the track. We looked at the track and the train to do it.

For our final design, for the tracks, we used strip magnets like our first design, 6 of them and 3 on the long sides. For the train, we used strip magnets instead of disc magnets, 2 of them and 1 on two opposite sides. Our model worked because our magnets on the train lined up with the magnets on the track, our train levitated and our train moved across the track with the rocks in a paper cup safely and efficiently.

We were excited in the beginning because we never made a model of a maglev train. We were frustrated a lot in the middle and the end of the process because sometimes our magnets attracted when it was suppose to repel. And also, a lot of times, the train couldn’t levitate across the track.