Rocketry blog post #3

This is a unit that starts with designing and ends with launching. I know very exciting but we are going to focus on the designing part of this long fun prices. My group is the flying saucers, a team that is made out of four people. We have argued some but in the end we all come together and agree on an idea. If someone’s idea is not heard we give them a chance on another part of the project. My group was very confident in our rocket but there was a catch, we had to make one change to our new rocket. It was hard deciding because our previous rocket had done exceptionally well and we were afraid that if we made a change our rocket wouldn’t go anywhere. You can’t live in fear so we made quite a few changes to our rocket and we are almost positive that our rocket would do great. 

 

My group was so excited to build a rocket, but we didn’t forget that we had to change one thing. “ I think we should change the fins!” one of us said. “ I think we should change the nose cone!” someone else said. “ I think we should change nothing!”. We decided to change the nose cone and make it pointier because then it would be “aerodynamic” as Tony says. We chose to make a change that would improve the rocket rather then make a change because it was required. It was very hard making the nose one painter because you have to turn the tip of it and if your hand slipped just a little bit your nose cone would come undone. After many attempts and fails we finally made a perfect shape for our nose cone so we taped it onto the rocket. It was hard to tape it on to the rocket because again we didn’t want it to come undone and also the tape would make it thicker and heavier so we had to place the tape carefully. 

 

It was finally time to design our rocket. We grabbed a sheet of paper and got to work. We began drawing a thin body because we saw in the past that the thick body does  not work as well as the thin one. Then we drew the nose cone, pointier than our other rocket. WEehad to write the explanation so of course Tony wrote, “ We want to make it aerodynamic!” We thought it was important to collaborate during this phrase because whatever we did now would impact how high our rocket went. 

 

Now it’s all about the building. We got a PVC pipe and a sheet of paper. We rolled the paper on the pipe and taped where the ends meet. Then we made the nose cone out of paper and taped it on. We got styraphone and cut out a fin shape. It was really hard to do because the stylophone was so thick. OUr teacher hot glued them on the rocket and we let it dry. Since it was hotglue it dried very fast. I wrote “ Flying Saucers” on the side of it and I colored the fins in purple.  I have a good feeling about our rocket.

 

I think my group is going to do a good job! Maybe our rocket will go really high agian. I like this experiance becuase I get to work with the people I dont usally work with. I think that one imporment I could make is being patiant. Whenever someone is not ready my group goes on without them. We are supposed to be a group, not a few people. If my group worked on that IM certan that we would of done 100 times better.,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *