For the first few days of this week, we practiced making blueprints by using a measurement table, t-squares, rulers, and right triangles. It was really fun.
On Friday, we started to make the blueprint for our flashlight design. I’m almost done with mine. After that, I can start to build! I think the hard part about this project is making the blueprint, but when you start to build, it gets easier because you have the steps right in front of you.
I’m going to use one pipe and three fittings. Once I’m done making the flashlight, I am going to decorate it. I think that decorating it makes it more unique. Although, I don’t know what I’m going to decorate it with yet.
I forgot to take pictures, so I’ll make sure to add some in next week. I really need to remember to take pictures each week!
Here is my blueprint of my flashlight:
Yesterday, we played the “Self-Driving Car” game. It was pretty fun, but also kind of challenging. It was challenging because when you are the driver, (the one who closes the circuits), you are timed to see how fast you can go. You also get recorded on how many mistakes you make, so you always have to be looking at the cards. That was distracting me from flipping the right switch because if I’m not looking at the right switch to flip, I flip the wrong one.
It turns out that my table mates also had a hard time as the driver because they would make some mistakes and take very long to go through the deck. I got the fastest time, but I made two mistakes. One of my table mates got a pretty fast time and no mistakes. She got about 50 seconds. I got about 39.
The other jobs were not hard at all. One was flipping the cards and the other one was timing the driver and keeping track of their mistakes.
Next week we will begin to make a blueprint for our new project, which is building a flashlight. The challenge is that the flashlights that we make have to fit in a small box. I already have an idea of what I’m going to make and I know that it’s going to fit in the box. This is because I measured the parts that I think I’m going to be using, and then measured the box. It fits in perfectly.
I can’t wait until next week, and I’ll keep you posted!
It turns out we didn’t play the “Self-Driving Car” game this Friday. Instead, we made the switch that our projects are going to be connected to on a breadboard. For the switch, we used a breadboard, jumper cables, a battery, and an LED light. This is a breadboard:
In class, we learned about parallel and simple circuits. In a parallel circuit, if there are multiple lights, and one of them goes off, the rest of them stay on. In a simple circuit, if one light goes off, then the rest of them go off too. That’s because of how the switch is built. In a parallel circuit, the wires attached to each light are connected to the wires that are attached to the battery. And each wire that is attached to a light is separated from the other wires. That’s why if a wire attached to a light gets cut off, then that light will go off, but the others won’t. Here are some pictures of the three different switches all put together:
Mr. Calvert has assigned a new project. We’re supposed to make three different light switches, mostly made out of cardboard and tin foil. After we finish making these switches, we are going to play a game with them.
The game is called the “Self-Driving Car.” The only other thing that you need to play the game is a deck of playing cards. This is how to set it up: first, you have to divide the deck into two, the cards face-down. Then, you arrange the three switches in a horizontal line facing you. After that, you are all set to play.
This is how you play: first, you flip the first card of each half of the deck over. If the card on the left is red, and if the card on the right is black, then you turn on the switch on the left. If the card on the right is red, and the one on the left is black, then you turn on the switch on the right. Lastly, if both of the cards are red, then you turn on the switch in the middle. The goal is to test how fast you can operate it, without making any mistakes.
Tin foil is conductive, so the switch works by having one piece of it connected to a wire with positive charges and another piece connected to a wire with negative charges. Those wires are connected to the LED light, so when the two pieces of tin foil touch, it’ll make the light turn on. Our switches are due this Friday. I already finished all of them, luckily. Here are some pictures of my switches and me working on them…