As we were building our Rube Goldberg we faced many challenges. Sometimes one of our steps wouldn’t work, or we couldn’t get something to stay put. This post will walk you through our challenges of building our Rube Goldberg.
Our first challenge was trying to actually focus. Now you might be thinking “What kind of a challenge is this?” But let me tell you, while with your friends your brain basically tells you “Have fun! Your with your friends no one cares about work.” And you have to make sure you tune that part of your brain out. The first few times, this was challenging for me and my partner, but as the days went on and the due date was coming closer, and closer, we got more focused. Eventually we did finish and we think it went great.
Our second challenge was changing stuff around mid-build. We had to do this because, sometimes before you even try it you have a feeling something isn’t going to work and, the more you think about it, the more it seems like it won’t work. For example, our springboard. At first when we thought about it in our heads we thought it was going to be unique and awesome. But, we weren’t thinking of the actual mechanism. Once we built it, we ended up with a spring glued to a piece of cardboard and, we both knew it wasn’t going to work. This is just one example but there are so many more that it would take a VERY LONG blog post just to name a few.
Our third challenge was finding the right places to put things. This might sound weird but there is a definite struggle with this. Heres and example: We had a pulley. This pulley held very heavy things. Our original plan was to hang it up on the ceiling, but that DID NOT end well. We almost tore a hole in my ceiling. So ten we had to switch the place of the pulley and while we only switched the place of one thing, that one thing was very important. So as we switched that, we had to switch everything else around
These are only a few of our challenges but there are many more…