This was going to be our last rocket launch. We were determined to get over one hundred feet, so we tried our very best on this one, first we tried making our body as tight as is could possibly be. Which lead to an argument on what color the nose cone was going to be. Sydney and I wanted to choose a different color. While Jai and Neil wanted the same one as we always did, red blue, and white. So to decide, we wrote our choices and let Ms. Edwards pick out of the pencil cup. Lucky for Sydney and I, she picked different color. We decided that the nosecone should be grey. Now it was my turn to tape the nosecone. I made sure that the nosecone was extra tall. I made it out of paper, and then taped the nosecone. They said that I put too much tape. But at least there were no holes to slow it down. Finally, the fins took some time because we wanted them to be very secure. The last two rockets fins were stable except they had one one fin that was a bit loose.
I most enjoyed making and launching because it was a challenge to think about and to build what we imagined. Then when we launched, it was cool to see which one worked the best. And the team work was a fun but a bit hard.
Designing rocket one, two, and three, was ok. The team did good on the chromebook, for rocket one the design was great. Vs reality, it was pretty bad. The fins were tiny and loose, the nose cone was made of tinfoil. then Neil put red blue and white tape on very lazily. There were many many holes on the nosecone. Then when we launched it, it only went ninety feet high.
Then with launching rocket two,the fins were a bit bigger, then Sydney and Jai made the nosecone out of paper and red, blue, and white tape. Which was much better but still some holes. But when launching, it it only went six feet higher. I got a bit frustrated.
Finally, came the third rocket design. I got to make the nosecone, so I made it out of paper, and made it longer. Then We voted to put grey tape instead of what we used to do. Then we made the same sized fins I think. And the the launch day came. We were really happy with what we got. We got 119 feet. And that was or last launch.
Designing rocket one. Our rocket design was great, we argued a bit on the color but it all turned out nicely. When we actually started building. We argued about the body and how it should be skinnier. After that, we did that I started to make the nose cone with a bit too much tape.
Like the other rockets we made, Sydney and I wanted a different color, Neil and Jai wanted the American flag colors. So we wrote what we wanted on a piece of paper, put them in the pencil cup and let Ms. Edwards choose. She chose different color. So we did gray.
After launching, we were very happy, especially Sydney, we had gotten 119 feet. We jotted what we noticed and finished the launching part of the rocketry group.
We launched our first rocket that only went surprisingly 96 feat. How and why didn’t it go higher? It felt like it went a hundred or higher. But after taking notes and notices with my group right after the launch. We made another slideshow in which we typed what we got and what the other groups got.
Then we put in our first design, and then on a google drawing our next design. And of course, someone kept on deleting and copying and pasting the rocket. Someone else kept goofing off and someone at least tried to work on the rocket with me. The nose cone (that would not work well) had a LOT of holes that no one bothered to fix. Which is why it went 90 feet only. I hope rocket three will go really high.
Now on our third rocket design, we agreed to make the nose cone a bit longer. We made our body with grey tape this time, then we chose green as our body color. A weird combination but it didn’t matter. After, I made the nose cone very tall. Then I tried to carefully put the tape on all around the cone. Eventually there was only a small hole left at the tip. But when you looked at it from the bottom there is no hole.
After we hot glued the fins on. Though it was uneven again. After I tried to make a sorta big lightning bolt. But instead I made a VERY small lightning bolt to tape on our rocket. But then I wondered when we would launch our rocket, every day feels windy. But I hope that this time, our rocket will go HIGHER than 100. Last time it went 90, then 96.
In this unit, we made and studied about rockets. We started with a slideshow, and made our own rocket designs, then we typed in information about our final rocket and the materials we would and used to make our final rocket (which was a fail when launched).
We printed everything in the slideshow we had made. And glued them onto our Inspiration board. Our inspiration board showed each of our rockets, and our group name. After, they were put in the hallway that lead to the 5th grade wing with the other groups.
Then we started to make our final rocket design in reality, which took a lot of arguing and time. I hope we can do the rest of the unit better.
When we started our rocketry unit we were exited. Here is how it went for designing rocket 1. First thing we needed to do was to design a rocket together as a group. My group called our self’s AOCST. Which stands for Association Of Creative Space Travel. Then on our slideshow we created a rocket, which took a lot of arguing of what color, how to make it good, and what to use.
Finally we settled on something.
When we made our body of the rocket, it was a bit hard, but then someone and someone did it together and it worked. Then the fins. Some of us though it had too small fins, but then we decided it was fine. But the nose cone wasn’t so good. The cardboard I made was not stable. It was ripping and was not good enough, but we kept going (though I thought it wold not have worked). And we were done with that part.