Today our teacher, Mr. Calvert, wasn’t here so he left us to watch a video about Nicola Tesla and his inventions about electricity. From there we will do something on Monday about the video. In the video we were learning about the Tesla Coil. That transfers electricity. Without Nicola Tesla, we wouldn’t of known what electricity was, how to work it, and how it works. Now that he discovered it, we can power up many things and that transformed technology into something so big.
Yesterday we were getting ready for our project on Monday. Our teacher showed us the sauntering iron and some examples of what we are going to be creating ourselves. We also went over some rules about how to handle the materials. Our teacher let us pass around some materials to look at them and feel them. During this unit of electricity, we will be creating our own electric circuit using tinfoil, popsicle sticks, cardboard and some other materials. We will be making 3 types of ways to make and electric circuit.
Today we were doing more on electricity. We finally got to do hands on little projects on making a circuit. We worked with a simulator trying to light up a lightbulb and it worked!! Mr Calvert, had us go around a table and he showed us how to light the lightbulb. He let us try it and this is how it turned out after a few try’s and working with my partner, Xiyan:
Today we were learning about electrons and reviewing atoms. Electrons are static and they are all negative. When electrons touch atoms, the atoms move away because negative can’t touch the negative. But negative can touch positive. Our teacher taught us that in clouds, all of the negative parts are on the bottom and all of the positive parts are on the top. When negative parts jump to the bottom on Earth, thats what causes lightning. When you put positive and negative together, it causes a shock.
Atoms are made of protons and neutrons together. Atoms can be split apart. The electron cloud is the outside part of an atom. In the center of an atom is the nucleus. It is the core of the atom. Protons and neutrons give the atom some weight. Adding a single proton to an atom will change the atom completely. Each positive proton will charge a negative proton.
On the right side of the periodic table, there are two parts and on the left there is one part. You can cut into any element and it will turn into smaller atoms.
Today in technology class we were learning about our galaxy and atoms. Atoms make up our world and everything else. When we look up in the sky, the stars we see are only the stars in our galaxy, The Milky-way. We learned that a ray of light will travel 6 billion miles in one year. Our galaxy is 120,000 light years across. It is already 1000 light years thick. We have 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy. There are close to 100,000,000,000 galaxies. When you look very closely in the sky, you’ll see little discs, which look like stars, that are actually galaxies.
Atoms are the most smallest piece of matter. It is not invisible, but in order to see one, you have to look with a microscope. We only know 118 different atoms, which is in the periodic table.
We are learning about electricity and how power and energy works. Thales of Miletus discovered that rubbing amber would attract lightweight objects like feathers. The word for amber in Greek is “elektron”. Democritus believed that the nature of things was made of small, invisible particles of varying sizes called “Atomos”. That word then got changed into the word “Atoms”. We also listened to the Periodic Table song. We got to see all of the 118 elements that make up our planet and us. Our teacher taught us that Queen Elizabeth’s doctor discovered that the Earth’s core was molting. William Gilbert said “The electric effluvia differ from much air, and as air is the earth’s effluvium, so electric bodies have their own distinctive effluvia.” So from there on he was said to have made the word effluvia.
Today is the 4th day of technology class in school. I really am enjoying it, even though we didn’t start the projects yet. Yesterday my teacher set up a little scavenger hunt which involves working together. It was a bit challenging but with some hints and teammates, we found the answers to the puzzles.
We also started learning the safety rules while working with the tools in class. In class, the main important thing is to wear safety goggles. That is because when we are using the soldering iron, and some other tools, we have to be careful with the way we handle them. We could possibly hit our eye and damage it.
So far I am really looking forward to starting some of the projects because we will be working with tools and materials that I haven’t worked with ever.
About 2 weeks ago I memorized my whole presentation and I was very confident in myself. Two days ago we presented to a few classes in school and all I was thinking about is presenting in front of the parents. Although I still was scared to present in front of some classes I was freaking out. When I was done presenting to some of the classes I was relieved because I was really nervous. Yesterday I presented to the parents and that was really scary for me especially because I don’t like speaking in public. After, I felt really proud of myself because I thought I would just forget everything and that would be really embarrassing! I thought I was really prepared and I actually had a great time presenting my project even though I was a little scared. I practiced everyday and always had a to – do list of what to do for homework for capstone. Overall I think I was prepared really well. If I could present to the parents again I probably would’ve changed:
1 – speak a little bit louder
2 – speak a little bit slower… But I am really proud of myself 🙂
For more information, (if you want to see my presentation) you can go to this link:
For Capstone, since I’m researching about Genetics and why I have red hair, I chose my main inquiry question to be, “Why do I have red hair?” Since Genetics is a complicated topic and answering this question is also complicated, it took me quite a while to find the right answer and understand it well. Some challenges I had coming up with my main inquiry questions were I had to think of a question that had to do with my topic but wasn’t to broad and a lot of my questions that I came up with before my final one were too broad. That was something that really stumped me.
The answer to my question, “Why do I have red hair?” is, my dad and my mom carried the gene so that means that my sister and I each had a 25% chance of getting red hair and I got lucky and got it! The Punnett Square below shows my chances of getting red hair:
The uppercase b is brown hair and the lowercase b is red hair. My dad carries the gene for red and brown hair and my mom carries the gene for red and brown hair too. Two of the boxes have the gene for brown and red hair. One of the boxes has the gene for just brown hair and the last box has the gene for just red hair. If that’s the case, then one of your offspring could have red hair. If all of the boxes have only the genes for red hair (small b’s) then there is a 100% chance your offspring will get red hair. Since only 1 box has both recessive red hair genes, then there is a 25% chance for one of your offspring getting red hair and there is a 75% chance you are getting brown hair. This is why I got red hair.