Parent Coffee – Technology @HeathcoteSchool

On October 28, 2022 we had the first Parent Coffee of the 2022-20223 school year, it was also the first such event back in-person since the start of Covid.

The event was an overview of “Technology @HeathcoteSchool” which essential means I covered the Scarsdale School’s technology vision and then how it manifests itself here at Heathcote. As a district we follow the national ISTE standards for technology education as well as the New York State standards (which NYS is in the process of updating/changing). As a school we have the autonomy and agency to apply those standards across a wide variety of district-approved apps and platforms.

Overall, our approach to technology is:

• everything done with purpose
  • iterative – each lesson, project, and year builds on what came before it
  • integrated with the classroom curriculum
  • planned with, and taught alongside, the classroom teacher
  • project based
  • content is key
  • student voice, and understanding of audience, is a big focus
  • every project is a story, a story or learning and experience

Below is the presentation I used during the event. Below that is a replay I created after the event, talking through the slides as I did during he live event, for anyone who wasn’t able to attend.

The video above is title “HeathcoteTech Podcast – Episode 3.” I am experimenting with creating podcasts. Ideally we would like to use the podcast platform/medium with students. It is a great way to showcase the creation and publishing of content through a natural cycle of gathering resources, outlining/scripting an episode, editing, and publishing. For now, though, I am doing the episodes alone as I work out the nuances of the various podcast tools. Currently the HeathcoteTech Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Anchor.

Stay tuned for more HeathcoteTech podcast episodes, student podcasts, and much more related to technology @heathcoteschool!