Hello again. In my last post I talked a little bit about ai automation and I wanted to tell you guys more about my research. In the past, ai was programmed to do tasks that happen over and over again. A big group of factory jobs were affected from this. Automation that is happening now, and will happen a lot more in the future is automating jobs that are not repetitive and predictable. I interviewed James Manyika, senior partner at McKinsey & Company and Chairman and Director of the McKinsey Global Institute, and we talked about how some of the things that are being automating are things in our head that we don’t fully understand, and we can’t just write them down as an algorithm on paper. It is hard to predict how many jobs will be automated in future years though, because the only way to figure that out is from the information of the past, and we know that the future of this technology will be much different than what has happened in the past.
There are many predictions about the future of our society once automation gets really bad. One prediction is that if everyone’s jobs are automated, than most people will have no money and the small group of people that still have jobs will be extremely rich and the rest of society will be extremely poor. Another prediction is that when some bad people get their hands on very powerful ai, they can use it on machines with bad intentions and could potentially turn automation to make powerful weapons. A third prediction is that if machines get so smart and so powerful, they will be able to duplicate, and they will be running our society, and we would potentially be taking orders from them.
Another part of this topic that many people are worried about is how we are going to be able to adapt to all of the changes that are, and are going to occur to our workforce and economy. A concept that people are going to have to take into account going into the future is called lifelong learning. Lifelong learning is the idea that you are open to learning new skills your whole life instead of going down one very narrow path for a profession at an early age, a profession that could get automated in the future. Lifelong learning is good because in the workforce of the future, you are going to need to do more than one job to maintain a living. This is because many tasks in certain jobs are being automated, but not entire jobs, so jobs won’t be paying as much since you would only be doing certain tasks. Lifelong learning will help us overcome any problems that we might have with our jobs being automated because we will already know how to do many other jobs.
While less than five percent of all U.S jobs have already been automated, 60% of 30% of all U.S jobs can be automated. This means that 60% of the things that someone needs to do in their job can be automated, and the other 40% can’t. Most people think that the lowest paying jobs are the easiest to automate, but this is actually not true. Most of the jobs that are being automated in our country are middle class jobs like accountants and auditors, which are two repetitive jobs. Many other middle class like these are also at risk. Most low class jobs on the other hand are not at risk for automation in upcoming years. This is because most of these jobs require many different skills as the demands of the job may be different every day. Examples of these jobs are caretakers, and janitors. This is a problem because if we don’t have a balenced society with people in the middle there will just be wealthy people and poor people.
|High School Teachers
|Computer Hardware Engineers
|Real Estate Agents
|Accountants and Auditors
|Umpires and Referees
This chart shows the percent chance that a job has of being automated.
If you are interested in this topic and would like to learn more about it you can check out some of the links below. Please comment your thoughts on the topic, and or share further information that you know about it that wasn’t discussed in the post.
This is a cartoon about automaton
This is a video that I used for a lot of my research